The Head of States / Governments of 10 members of the Association of South East Asia Nations (ASEAN) will meet today, Saturday 7 May, and Sunday 8 May, at the Jakarta Convention Center, Jakarta.
As the annual Chairman of ASEAN for 2011, President Susilo Bambang Yudoyono is scheduled to open the meeting at 9 am this morning. There are three main agenda for the summit meeting :
1) To ensure the establishment of the ASEAN Community in 2015
2) To ensure that South East Asia will remain as a peaceful and stable region
3) ASEAN participation in maintaining world peace.
Beside that, there are other important issues such as the ASEAN-China Free Trade Area, South China Sea dispute, Thai-Cambodia border conflict, Joint Rice Buffer Stock, Fighting Pirates, etc.
In connection with the establishment of the ASEAN Community in 2015, I hope that all the governments of member countries would socialize the ASEAN programs to their people.
Related articles :
- Indonesia will lead Charge to Establish ..... (The Jakarta Globe)
- Tiga Priotitas Ketua ASEAN (Indonesian Foreign Ministry)
- KTT ke 18 ASEAN di Jakarta (Detik)