Since 1924, more than 4 million people all over the world, including Indonesia, have become more confident Speakers and Leaders because of their participation in Toastmasters activities.
Headquartered in Santa Margaritha, California, USA, today Toastmasters International has more than 250,000 members who improve their Public Speaking and Leadership skills by attending one of the 12,500++ Clubs that make up Toastmasters global network of meeting locations.
How Does It Work?
- A Toastmasters meeting is a learn-by-doing workshop in which participants hone their speaking and leadership skills in a friendly atmosphere. A typical group has 20 to 40 members who meet weekly, biweekly or monthly. A typical meeting lasts 60 – 90 minutes.
- There is no instructor in a Toastmasters meeting. Instead, members evaluate one another’s presentations. This feedback process is a key part of the program’s success. Meeting participants also give impromptu talks on assigned topics, conduct meetings and develop skills related to timekeeping, grammar and parliamentary procedure.
- Members learn communication skills by working in the Competent Communication manual, a series of 10 self-paced speaking assignments designed to instill a basic foundation in public speaking.
- Members also learn leadership skills by taking on various meeting roles and working in the Competent Leadership manual. In our learn-by-doing approach, we don't lecture members about leadership skills; we give them responsibilities and mentoring to help. Then we ask them to lead.
The Toastmasters program offers many benefits that help people in all walks of life. As a result of participating in Toastmasters, you will:
- Increase your self-confidence
- Become a better speaker
- Become a better leader
- Communicate more effectively
- $20 New member fee
- $27 Dues for six months, plus any club expenses. (Some clubs may charge a nominal fee in addition to the regular dues for items such as meeting space and club supplies.)
Visit a Toastmasters club. You can find clubs near you by using the Meeting Locations tool.
- Each group has a different personality, so you may wish to visit more than one. Your visit is free, and some clubs may allow you to return as often as you like.
- It’s easy to find a time and location that works for you. Meetings are held seven days a week, mornings, afternoons and evenings. It’s a good idea to call or email in advance to confirm a group’s meeting time and location.
At the meeting, ask the vice president membership for a membership application and fill it out.
Give your application and dues to the vice president membership at the club.
- Once you are voted in by the existing membership, the club officer will send your application and fees to Toastmasters’ World Headquarters.
- Your New Member Kit should arrive in the mail in about two weeks (kits outside of the U.S. may take longer).
Today, more than 100 Toastmasters Clubs have been opened in many parts of Indonesia i.e Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya, Bali, Medan, Pekanbaru, Batam, Balikpapan and Soroako, Sulawesi.