The House of Representatives is currently working with the government on the Intelligence Bill :
According to Detik News, there are 12 crucial matters in this Bill :
- Definition of Intelligence
- Eavesdropping/phone tapping
- Secret Intelligence Information
- The right intelligence agency to arrest suspects
- The creation of an Intelligence Coordinating Agency to coordinate intelligence network
- Supervision of Intelligence agency
- Organization and Functions of intelligence agency : foreign, domestic, military, law enforcement
- The Structure and Position of intelligence agency
- Personnel and Recruitment
- Codes of Ethics and Prohibitions
- Demilitarization of the Intelligence agency
- The rights of victims of Intelligence agency
According to The Jakarta Globe, the government has insisted that the State Intelligence Agency (BIN) should be given the authority to arrest suspected terrorists before they attack, as well as other people suspected of espionage and subversion.
Some lawmakers and NGO refused to give authorities to arrest and eavesdrop, because they feared that such authority might be abused. Recent release of the Wikileaks alleged that President SBY has used intelligence agency to spy on his political rivals, but was denied by the President and government officials.