Two groups of people clashed in the town of Ambon, Maluku Province, killing at least three people and injuring eighty nine others.
Beside that, two cars, four motorcycles and three houses were burned to the ground during said violence.
The Jakarta Globe quoted the spokesman of the National Police Anton Bahrul Alam as saying that the violence was sparked by a traffic accident that caused the death of an Ojek (Motorcycle Taxi) driver i.e Damin Saiman.
However, an sms sent by unknown people saying that Darmin was tortured to death by members of the other group. Word of mouth prompted a violent clash between the two group, one of which includes the family of Darmin.
The spokesman also said that the Police is now investigating who is responsible for the sms, but no arrest has been made so far. The over-all situation in Ambon is stable now.
The above violence show that the relationship among people in Ambon is still fragile whereby they can be provoked to do violence against each other very easily just by the circulation of a mysterious sms.
As a first step, the laws should be enforced very strictly on anyone alleged to be responsible for the violence and must be processed in Court.
Showing posts with label Maluku. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Maluku. Show all posts
Monday, September 12, 2011
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
President SBY and the RMS
Yesterday, President Susilo Bambang Yudoyono (SBY) made a last minute cancellation of his visit to Holland.
SBY told reporters that he canceled the visit because a Court in The Hague examined a petition filed by a rebel group in southern part of Maluku province (RMS), requesting for the arrest of SBY for human right violation. He said that he is not afraid to be arrested, but he felt that such Court proceedings insults the national pride of Indonesia.
The Dutch government regretted the cancellation, saying that it has offered SBY diplomatic immunity against criminal prosecutions.
Meanwhile, the Court in The Hague has rejected the RMS's petition, due to which RMS plan to file an appeal against said ruling.
SBY's said decision was supported by government officials and members of his Democrat Party, while political observers and the opposition regarded it as an undiplomatic action that draw world attention on the RMS as a tiny rebel group. They questioned the credibility of our inteligence agency and the presidential Security Unit (Paspampres) in preparing for the visit.
Considering the above, I felt that the said cancellation has given RMS the biggest benefit since it declared independence and crushed in 1950 i.e. world attention they really need right now as a tiny unknown rebel organization.
From now on, I hope that the government would be more careful in handling such matters, e.g by acquiring professional advice from world class experts in international relation and law.
Related acrticles :
- Breaking News: 'Insulted' Indonesian President Cancels Dutch State Visit (The Jakarta Globe)
- RMS admits defeat, plans to file appeal after SBY rearrange Dutch visit (The Jakarta Post)
- Republik Maluku Selatan (Wikipedia)
SBY told reporters that he canceled the visit because a Court in The Hague examined a petition filed by a rebel group in southern part of Maluku province (RMS), requesting for the arrest of SBY for human right violation. He said that he is not afraid to be arrested, but he felt that such Court proceedings insults the national pride of Indonesia.
The Dutch government regretted the cancellation, saying that it has offered SBY diplomatic immunity against criminal prosecutions.
Meanwhile, the Court in The Hague has rejected the RMS's petition, due to which RMS plan to file an appeal against said ruling.
SBY's said decision was supported by government officials and members of his Democrat Party, while political observers and the opposition regarded it as an undiplomatic action that draw world attention on the RMS as a tiny rebel group. They questioned the credibility of our inteligence agency and the presidential Security Unit (Paspampres) in preparing for the visit.
Considering the above, I felt that the said cancellation has given RMS the biggest benefit since it declared independence and crushed in 1950 i.e. world attention they really need right now as a tiny unknown rebel organization.
From now on, I hope that the government would be more careful in handling such matters, e.g by acquiring professional advice from world class experts in international relation and law.
Related acrticles :
- Breaking News: 'Insulted' Indonesian President Cancels Dutch State Visit (The Jakarta Globe)
- RMS admits defeat, plans to file appeal after SBY rearrange Dutch visit (The Jakarta Post)
- Republik Maluku Selatan (Wikipedia)
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Indonesia and the World Cup
Indonesia is not one of the countries that is eligible to participate in the World Cup international soccer championship in South Africa.
However, the result of the final match between Spain and Holland has caused one man dead and two wounded in the Province of Maluku.
Please find below an article about this that I have quoted from the Brisbane Times.
This is a very sad news. I wonder what would happen if Indonesia become one of the participant in the World Cup.
However, the result of the final match between Spain and Holland has caused one man dead and two wounded in the Province of Maluku.
Please find below an article about this that I have quoted from the Brisbane Times.
This is a very sad news. I wonder what would happen if Indonesia become one of the participant in the World Cup.
One dead in 'World Cup clash' in Indonesia
July 11, 2010
One Indonesian has been killed and two wounded as rival World Cup fans clash in Indonesia.
Violence broke out between two groups of villagers on Maluku island and several houses were set on fire, police said on Saturday.
It was not immediately clear which teams the rival factions were supporting or how the villager died.
But Maluku police chief Totoy Indra was quoted by local radio saying: "The clash was triggered by a celebration of a winning World Cup team in the area."
Indra said the wounded were being treated in hospital.
He said the situation had returned to normal but police were braced for further clashes.
AFP
It was not immediately clear which teams the rival factions were supporting or how the villager died.
But Maluku police chief Totoy Indra was quoted by local radio saying: "The clash was triggered by a celebration of a winning World Cup team in the area."
Indra said the wounded were being treated in hospital.
He said the situation had returned to normal but police were braced for further clashes.
AFP
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)