Friday, December 25, 2009

N.U & Infotainment

I always believed that Nadhatul Ulama, the largest Islamic organization in Indonesia with 35 million members, is a moderate Islamic organization.

There are several reasons for this belief. First, N.U's former Chairman, former President Abdurrachman Wahid (Gus Dur), is a liberal person. Second, the political party that it established i.e Nation's Awakening Party (PKB) is a non exclusive party. Thirdly, its Chairman, Hasyim Muzadi, was former President Megawati's running mate in the 2004 presidential election.

Due to the above facts, I was very surprised when the media reported that N.U has considered TV celebrity shows known as Infotainment as Haram (Forbidden for Muslim). Hasyim Muzadi has even requested the government to ban such shows.

For details, please click here, here and here.

Considering the era of transparency that we are having nowadays, I believe that said N.U's decision would not have a positive response because most TV viewers are now quite wise and smart to choose what kind of shows would be best for them to watch.
Even if the Infotainments are banned, people can easily & cheaply get copies of their VCD/DVDs on the markets.
Further, by declaring Infotainment as Haram, N.U will lose the supports of many moderate Muslims , including mine.

Logo: Courtesy of N.U

2 comments:

colson said...

Though I absolutely agee with you that we, grown up citizens, can decide for ourselves, I've to admit I tend to agree with NU that usually "infotainment" is superficial crap ( at least the infortainment I know of).

Unknown said...

Colson,

Please don't get me wrong, infotainment is not my cup of tea,
but I know lots of people love them. The fact that all TV stations have their own infotainment shows, all of which with commercial sponsors, indicate that their market is strong.
I would agree if those shows are ordered to always use decent ways in obtaining & presenting information.